Chicken and White Bean Salad
Zucchini and celery give this chicken-and-bean salad a nice crunch. We like serving it over a bed of slightly bitter escarole and radicchio, but any type of salad greens will work. Recipe by Nancy Baggett for EatingWell.
1 medium clove garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
6 tablespoons fresh orange juice, plus more to taste
1/4 cup white-wine vinegar or red-wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken breast (see Tip)
- 2 cups diced zucchini and/or summer squash (about 2 small)
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery
- 1/4 cup finely diced ricotta salata, halloumi (see Tip) or feta cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped, well-drained, oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (optional)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil, plus whole basil leaves for garnish
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste (optional)
- 2 cups torn escarole or romaine lettuce
- 2 cups torn radicchio leaves
Per serving: 428 calories; 23 g fat (5 g sat, 15 g mono); 79 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrate; 0 g added sugars; 4 g total sugars; 34 g protein; 8 g fiber; 667 mg sodium; 648 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (47% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Folate (21% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
1 Carbohydrate Serving(s)
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 3 fat
©By EatingWell.com. © Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.