Yield: 12 servings
Serving Size: 1 cupcake
Active Time: 35 minutes
Active Time (mins): 35
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
Total Time (mins): 90
To Make Ahead: Store unfrosted cupcakes at room temperature for up to 1 day; refrigerate frosting for up to 1 day.
Equipment: Muffin tin with 12 (1/2-cup) cups; paper liners
Chocolate-Beet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
These healthy chocolate cupcakes get a soft, moist texture from their not-so-secret ingredient: beets. The beets act as a natural red food dye, plus they bump up the fiber. Use red beets to give the cream cheese frosting a vibrant pink hue.
- 2 cups diced peeled beets (1/2-inch; about 2 medium)
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 3/4 cups packed confectioners’ sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
Per serving: 221 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 25 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrate; 17 g added sugars; 20 g total sugars; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 252 mg sodium; 194 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (16% daily value).
2 Carbohydrate Serving(s)
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
©Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.