For the Holidays, update family favorites with healthy add-ins. If homemade breads are your family's treat of choice, try baking with whole wheat flour or adding in healthful options such as bananas, blueberries, cranberries, apples, walnuts and pecans. Just be sure to use nuts in moderation since they are high in calories. This holiday season, you can enjoy traditional treats-with a more healthful twist. Try the healthy Banana Nut Bread recipe from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.
- Preheat oven to 350� F. Lightly oil two 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Stir together mashed bananas and buttermilk; set aside.
- Cream brown sugar and margarine together until light. Beat in egg. Add banana mixture; beat well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; add all at once to liquid ingredients. Stir until well blended.
- Stir in nuts and turn into prepared pan.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan.
- Remove from pan and complete cooling on a wire rack before slicing.
Tips and NotesBananas and low-fat buttermilk give this old favorite its moistness and help lower the fat.
Nutrition InformationYield: One loaf--Serving Size: 1/2-inch slice
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 5 g
Saturated fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 12 mg
Sodium: 138 mg